Thanks for your interest in volunteering with HBSPCA. Our volunteer program is undergoing some exciting changes! Keep checking back or bookmark this page. We will be sharing new opportunities soon. You can also stay up to date with everything HBSPCA by signing up for our monthly newsletter.
In the meantime, if you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to having you join our team!
Become a Foster Caregiver/Parent
We are currently recruiting foster caregivers to provide a temporary home and care for our felines, canines, and small species such as rabbits and guinea pigs.
- Foster Parents must be 18 years of age or older.
- Foster Parents with their own animals must ensure their pets are spay/neutered and fully vaccinated.
- Foster Parents ideally has access to a separate room or space to isolate a foster animal if needed.
- Foster Parents must have time to care for foster animals.
- Foster Parents must have access to reliable transportation.
- Foster Parents must abide by the foster caregiver agreement signed upon joining the program.
- Foster Parents must complete all pertinent species-specific training PAWdules and completion of application/screening call.
- Foster Parents must have access to the internet and have an active email address.
How to Become a Foster Parent:
Step 1: Please fill out the application online – Click Here!
Step 2: Complete screening call with our volunteer services department
Step 3: Complete required orientation video and species-specific training PAWdules
Step 4: Allowed access to online placement dashboard and line up your first foster!
Questions? Call us at 905-574-7722 or email email@example.com
Frequently Asked Foster Questions
Our Mission & Impact
The Hamilton/Burlington SPCA (HBSPCA) is a leader in animal welfare in the Golden Horseshoe and one of Ontario’s most progressive animal welfare agencies. Our aspiration is keeping pets and their people together. Service to community supports pet parents, delivers early intervention for pet health and wellness where pet families live, and is guided by the benefits of the human animal bond.
We support over 100+ volunteers, 100+ community partners and over 10,000+ community members annually who rely on our programs and services.
Volunteers at the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA are integral to helping us advocate for animal welfare and ensuring we follow the gold-standard of animal care which are guided by the five animal freedoms.
What do I need to know about being a volunteer at the HBSPCA?
While many people may think volunteering at the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA means hanging out with pets all day, that is only a part of what we do. There is a lot of behind-the-scenes work that is not only exciting, but very rewarding. At the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA we ensure that the change we are making in our communities inspires a movement rooted in animal welfare. Ultimately, our volunteers will provide a better world for animals and the people who love them.
More information about our volunteer program:
- all animal care positions are for those aged 18 years or older;
- all volunteers must be 15 or above, anyone 14 or younger may volunteer with their legal guardian
- volunteers may be required to provide:
a) 2 references
b) a valid (within 3 months of start date) criminal record and judicial matters check or Vulnerable Sector Screening (at their own cost)
c) a record of immunization for Covid-19, Rabies and/or Tuberculosis, depending on the role applied for
d) a record of immunization and medical history for their pet, or all household pets, in the pet visiting or foster care programs
e) A copy of your driver’s abstract, and Driver’s license
Why Volunteer at the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA?
We strive to provide a best-in-class volunteer experience for all those that choose to support Hamilton/Burlington SPCA with their time, treasure and talent. Our volunteer program includes many perks, including:
- We appreciate our volunteers with various events throughout the year that encourage socializing with people and pets
- We provide training and development education and workshops in the animal welfare area, either at-cost or free
- We salute and appreciate various milestones when it comes to hours of service contributed by volunteers to the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA.
- We provide awards, nominations and certificates for those that continually inspire and influence with their belief and advocacy in animal welfare
- Additional opportunities to give back to your community is also something we pride ourselves in. We partner with many like-minded community organizations that intersect with the good work we do. As a volunteer, you’ll be invited to help support other organizations during community days