As the weather gets warmer, dog parks can be a great place for dogs to socialize, exercise, and have fun, but did you know that they can also pose several risks to your four-legged friend? As responsible pet owners, it’s essential to be aware of these dangers and take the necessary steps to make the experience enjoyable and safe for everyone. 

Here are five risks of dog parks that every dog parent should be aware of. 


This pesky single-celled parasite can cause mild to severe gastrointestinal disease in dogs. It is spread by fecal-contaminated water, food, or soil and can even be transmitted when dogs sniff other dogs’ rear-ends and then lick their noses. Not so cute, right? To reduce the risk of exposure, pet guardians should bring their own water and water bowls to dog parks.

Roundworms and hookworms

These intestinal parasitic worms can be found in dogs and can attach to the lining of their intestinal wall and feed on blood. They can be transmitted through sniffing or licking the infected feces or through grooming their paws after walking on infected soil. Yikes! To reduce the risk of infection, your puppy should be started on regular parasite control and fecal examinations as recommended by your veterinarian.

Canine parvovirus

Canine parvovirus is a highly contagious and potentially deadly virus that can cause gastrointestinal illness in dogs, particularly puppies between six weeks and six months old. It’s spread through direct contact with infected dogs or contaminated objects and surfaces, including water bowls and toys. To protect your puppy, make sure they receive multiple doses of the canine parvovirus vaccine as recommended by your veterinarian.

Kennel cough

This respiratory disease complex is commonly contracted in any situation where large amounts of dogs come together, including dog parks and doggie daycares. It’s spread through casual contact, including sniffing, sharing water dishes, or playing. To protect your dog, make sure they are vaccinated for kennel cough.


Marijuana ingestion is becoming an increasing concern for pet parents and it can be lethal for dogs. Symptoms of marijuana ingestion include lethargy, dilated pupils or glassed-over eyes, loss of balance, whining, breathing problems, and agitated behaviour. Make sure to keep an eye on your pup and prevent them from ingesting any harmful substances.

We hope you found these tips helpful! Remember to always be aware of the risks and take the necessary steps to ensure your furry friend’s safety and happiness.