The most common reason people choose to give up a dog is a behaviour issue that could have been corrected with proper training. That’s why the Hamilton/Burlington SPCA (HBSPCA) is committed to providing high quality dog training courses to dog owners; well-behaved dogs are less likely to be surrendered or abandoned.
The HBSPCA and Positive Pups have partnered together to offer dog training sessions at the HBSPCA (245 Dartnall Rd). This partnership is designed to bring top dog training to dogs and their owners, support responsible pet ownership and benefit animal care at the shelter.
Why should I take dog obedience training at the HBSPCA?
The HBSPCA is committed to supporting responsible dog ownership and dogs in their forever homes.
Kelly and Aaron Robbins of Positive Pups each bring more than 20 years of training experience to the HBSPCA and the best techniques for positive reinforcement. In addition, Kelly has worked as a Dog Behavioural Assessment Associate at the HBSPCA . Together, Kelly and Aaron have counselled many dog owners through behavioral and aggression problems and have worked with hundreds of different breeds of dogs all over the world.
Dog Obedience Training Schedule:
Dog obedience is back! Classes will be held outside, with no access inside the HBSPCA, until Thanksgiving. One person per dog please. All participants will be required to wear a mask during class.
After Thanksgiving all classes will move inside the HBSPCA and all participants will be required to show proof of two COVID vaccines in order to attend the class. Masks will still be required.
Level 1 Classes
Wednesday August 25th at 5pm – FULL
Wednesday September 15th at 6:15pm – FULL
Thursday September 30th at 5pm – FULL
Wednesday October 27th at 5pm
Level 2 classes
Thursday September 9th at 6:15pm – FULL
Thursday November 11th at 6:15pm
What do I need to know?
- The dog training course is 7 weeks.
- Classes are once a week, for one hour.
- Minimum number of participants is 4; maximum is 7
- Sessions are non-refundable once the session has started
- The cost is $200.00; any dog adopted from the HBSPCA receives a $25.00 discount. ($175.00)*
- *50% of the cost of the sessions stays with the SPCA for animal care.
What do I need to do to sign up?
- Eligible dogs must be at least 12 weeks of age and with their second set of vaccines.
Registration can be done over the phone with a credit card. The administration office is open Monday-Friday 9:30am-5:00pm for payments and registration. 905 574-7722
- Owners are required to bring proof of vaccines including Bordetella, also known as kennel cough vaccine and a signed waiver form that can be printed off the Positive Pups web site at www.positivepups.ca
- Owners attending class will be required to show proof of two COVID vaccines
- Beginner 1: sit, down, heal, stay, come when called. Address negative behaviours such as biting, jumping & housebreaking.
- Beginner 2: Impulse control, off-leash verbal control, hand signals, off-leash healing and out of sight sit/down/stays.
Private Lessons with K9 Principles In-Home Dog Training
Is your best friend experiencing aggression, anxiety, reactive aggression? K9 Principle’s Kelly Robbins can help. Positive Pups/K9 Principles has been a training partner of the HBSPCA for many years and we are pleased to have them share their extensive knowledge on dog behaviour.
If you are currently dealing with aggression, biting or anxiety a private lesson may be helpful. To inquire if this is the right option for you and your dog please email Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more here www.k9principles.ca