The Hamilton/Burlington SPCA shares the concerns of our community regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) and the threat of community spread. We are saddened by the very real impacts it continues to have on individuals here in Canada and around the world. We continue to closely monitor the rapidly evolving situation; as a result, we are taking the following measures to ensure the health and safety of the animals in our care, our volunteers, our staff and the community we serve.
Effective today, March 18, the HBSPCA will be closed to the public until at least April 5 except by appointment. This change will impact our service to community in the following ways:
- Spay/neuter surgeries for owned pets at our Companion Animal Hospital are discontinued at this time. Any appointments already booked are being postponed and will be rescheduled at a later date.
- We will continue to accept animals at risk identified by Provincial Inspectors and who need to be removed from their current circumstances.
- The shelter is open for adoptions, urgent surrenders and end-of-life care by APPOINTMENT only.
- We are caring for pets ready for their forever home. Please view available animals at www.hbspca.com and follow the directions to submit an application by email to email@example.com. We will then contact you to schedule a meeting and hopefully send you home with a new friend to “social distance” with.
- If you as a guardian have an urgent need to consider surrendering a pet in your care, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- For end of-life-care and advice, please email email@example.com
All classes, clinics and events are postponed through to the end of April.
The shelter will continue to be safely staffed to care for the animals on site and those in foster care, respond to any required follow up post surgery, and attend to animals in distress requiring immediate attention.
The health and safety of our animals in our care, our volunteers, our staff and the community we serve, is our priority. Your donations to sustain required supplies and care animals in distress, pain and discomfort is ever important. Please consider a donation at /donate/single-gift/ or by phone at 905 574-7722 ext. 406
We encourage you to visit our website at www.hbspca.com for updates regarding our current services and future plans.
With thanks in health and safety.
Marion Emo, CEO